Hitting the Life Reset Button
Early 40s. Married 20 years. Mid-career. Taking a year off to travel “Round the World” (RTW) as part of a "life reset". We're sharing the planning and experiences…every step of the way!
We came up with the idea of a "life reset" in 2015. Both of us were working in stressful environments, we were in a house that was WAY bigger than two people would ever need, and we were trying to figure out what we wanted the next phase of our lives to look like.
Quick Facts: We are both in our early 40's. Married since 1999. We do not have any kids; this was a choice we made many years ago. No pets, but we have previously. Both of us have successful careers that we are putting on pause for this life reset.
About Us & What is a Life Reset?
Life Reset Update
Here is our most recent “life reset” update. Click here for all of our previous life reset videos and related posts.
- The Island of Gozo, Malta The second largest island in Malta, Gozo warranted a longer stay than just a day trip. We ended up staying five nights, and even in the slow winter season we Read more…>>>>
- Vodafone SIM Card in Malta – Review Each of us brought our unlocked iPhones with us with the plan to purchase local SIM cards for data. When we arrived in Malta, we opted for Vodafone Read more…>>>>
- Malta Food & Wine Tour Pretty much every place we have been so far we have scoped out a tour of some sort that involves food and wine (or sake when in Japan!). We figured Read more…>>>>
- Walking Through History in Malta – the Hypogeum & Tarxien Temples As we walked around Valletta, Tarxien, Paola and other areas of Malta, we commented on how it felt like we were visiting an archeological Read more…>>>>
- Does my travel insurance cover me if I’m injured riding a motorcycle or scooter? There is a good chance that we will rent a scooter, moped or motorcycle when we travel to Vanuatu, Southeast Asia, Read more…>>>>
- The Barossa in a 1962 Daimler Even when it comes to budget travel you have to splurge once in a while, especially when you are wine enthusiasts and near the Barossa wine region. Splurge on Read more…>>>>
- Wine, Farmhouse and Kangaroos After a few days in Sydney we decided it was time to get out of the city and explore a bit, so when a low cost car relocation rental to Brisbane Read more…>>>>
- After 20 years in our careers, we are now unemployed…by choice Call it a sabbatical, a hiatus, or one year of early retirement, but the two of us are now officially unemployed as one of Read more…>>>>
RTW Trip Planning & Preparation
We gave ourselves one year to take all of the necessary steps to plan our RTW life reset – saving money, researching destinations, figuring out international banking, choosing gear, vaccinations, insurance considerations, etc. See “The 12 Month Plan” dropdown navigation button on the top of this page for category-specific articles on each of these topics.
The RTW Planning Timeline post below includes a complete month-by-month list of everything we did to prepare with links to our relevant blog posts, and the Minimalist Travel RTW Packing List outlines all of our gear in detail.
- Long-term Travel: Packing Carry-on Only Everything we’re bringing on our around the world trip fits in two Osprey Porter 30L main backpacks and two Osprey Daylite 13L daypacks. We wanted gear that was lightweight, durable, Read more…>>>>
- Round the World (RTW) Month-by-Month Planning Breakdown We gave ourselves approximately one year to take all of the necessary steps to plan our RTW life reset – saving money, researching destinations, figuring out international banking, Read more…>>>>